Friday, July 30, 2010

Sesame Cilantro Chicken


I think Nick and I have been a little spoiled in our chicken recipes lately. Each one has been turning out pretty good and we've learned that a fat component is really important when it comes to flavor. And texture, apparently. Today's meal came from a Taste of Home Cooking magazine featuring cooking light recipes. I'm always game to try a healthy recipe, although my Southern roots balk at a dish without gobs of butter. Just kidding. A little. This recipe had a delicious sauce, but the chicken was lacking in texture. As much as my thighs are screaming at me to just walk away and consider this one a so-so dish, I'm going to rework it soon by doing a quick fry on the chicken coated with breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. I'll finish it in the oven and then toss the chicken in the sauce. So much for cooking light. I'll post the new recipe once I get it all figured out. In the meantime, here's this one for those of you who are more health-conscious than me.

Sesame Cilantro Chicken
*From Taste of Home Cooking

4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (I used regular)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (I used 2 tablespoons)

First, toast your sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat. They should turn a little brown and become fragrant. Place chicken in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and cilantro in a small bowl.

Spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture over the chicken. Set aside the remaining mixture.

Cover the chicken and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees. Spoon the reserved mixture over the chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment