Thursday, January 27, 2011

Breakfast Egg "Muffins"

Do you ever have one of those "ah-ha" moments that leaves you feeling excited and smart? I had one of those when I thought these up a few days ago. I'm sure someone else has already done them, but still. These were good. And I thought of them! Not that this recipe is anything spectacular, but making eggs yummy is something I pride myself on, especially since Hubby loves eggs. He actually got out of bed before noon (he works nights-he's not just lazy) to eat these (granted, once he was finished, he went right back to bed, but still!) and I enjoyed them myself. I especially like the variety of ways these can be changed. A few days later we made them non-scrambled:
You could also add in mushrooms, ham, bacon, broccoli, different cheese, any leftovers, etc.

Breakfast Egg "Muffins"

1 slice of bread for 2 muffin tins
Eggs (if scrambling, use 1 less than the number of muffins you're making: so if you're making 6 muffins, use 5 eggs)
Butter spray
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheese
Sliced green onions
Any other toppings of your choice
Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. Cut a circle out of a slice of bread (I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup . . . and hmm, water spots much?) and press it into the bottom of a muffin cup.
Tear out the rest of the soft part of the slice of bread and press it into the bottom of a second muffin cup. Repeat for as many muffin as you'd like to make.
Scramble your eggs with a small pinch of salt and a generous sprinkle of pepper (we're big pepper fans, so add to your taste). Spoon egg into the muffin cups until about 3/4 of the way full.
Add your toppings.
Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until the muffins puff up and the egg is cooked through.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I dont usually say OMG.... But those are on our breakfast list this weekend!!! Thank you for sharing. I will let you know what I add and how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely let me know! We tried them unscrambled this morning (just break the egg on top of the bread) and they were delicious! So either way works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were very good. I use cheese and bacon. Jason was not sure about them at first then he ate one with hot sauce. He said they were good. Leah loved them and she doesnt care for scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete