Monday, November 1, 2010

Pulled Braised Beef and Onions


Let me start by saying wow! This was so delicious! And that means a lot coming from me, because I don't like onions. I know, that's weird. Blame it on my dad, who ate an entire jar of pearl onions as a child and then promptly threw them back up, effectively beginning his hatred of onions. We didn't have them in our house and my mom worked very hard to adapt recipes that included the pungent little things. So I think I'm biased. However, I would eat these sandwiches anytime. The cooking beef and onions made our house smell wonderful. It was such an inviting aroma that one of the trick-or-treaters asked if he could come eat dinner with us! Kids are so cute! Anyway, if you have a beefeater (and not the British kind) in your house, make these now! The recipe is beyond easy and so flavorful.

Pulled Braised Beef and Onions
*From Dinner with Julie

Olive oil for cooking
1 eye of round or top round beef roast
2 onions, halved and thinly sliced (I only used one-plenty for me!)
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (we used a vinegary Carolina style, but any one will do)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons grainy mustard (we used dijon)
a few cloves of garlic, crushed

In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the roast on all sides. (Use a splatter screen to prevent a huge oily mess in your kitchen-lesson learned!) Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients except the onions in a slow cooker or ovenproof casserole dish.

Add in the onions.

Top with the browned meat. (Mine isn't too browned because of the oil mess-I gave up!)

Cover and cook on low (if using a slow cooker) for 6-8 hours, or cover and bake at 275-300 degrees for about 6 hours.

Using 2 forks, pull the meat apart in the sauce. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to thicken the sauce. Serve on soft buns. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment