Monday, May 9, 2011

Roasted Chicken


I am still experiencing a meat aversion, which, according to my doctor, is normal for pregnant women. I just hit 18 weeks and we find out the baby's gender on May 18th. Add that to my ever-growing stomach, and this whole thing is becoming more real by the day! Hubby and I keep asking each other what we got ourselves into, but we're very excited (along with terrified).

Anyway, back to the food. I have been feeling so guilty about only cooking vegetarian meals for Hubby and me, so today I decided to roast a whole chicken. My first one. Probably best to go for something a little less daunting when trying to get back into cooking, but hey, go big or go home, right? And I'm glad I chose this particular venture because the results were absolutely delicious! I have often gotten a whole roasted chicken from Fred Meyer or Costco and been pleased, but it is SO much better when you do it yourself at home. Not only does it taste better, but it also makes your house smell like heaven.

Now, with my meat aversion, Hubby ended up doing most of the prep work, but I supervised. When asked if he thought the extra work was worth it, he couldn't say because his mouth was full of chicken. He picked at the carcass for quite a while too, so I know it was good. This is a basic roasted chicken recipe, but it can certainly be jazzed up with additional herbs, onions, potatoes, lemons, etc. We liked the simplicity of it and the way the flavor of the chicken wasn't masked by seasonings, but to each his own, right?

Roasted Chicken
*From me!

1 whole chicken, about 4-6 pounds
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Pepper

Preheat the oven to 425ยบ. Remove the chicken from the bag and pull out the giblets. Use tongs if the thought of sticking your hand up a chicken's rear isn't appealing to you. Rinse the chicken completely, inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Drying the bird will ensure that the skin is crispy.

Sprinkle on a generous amount of kosher salt.

Add freshly ground pepper to taste. This means LOTS for us!

Drizzle on a little bit of olive oil.

Beg your hubby to rub it in for you if you're pregnant and feeling nauseous when you think about touching the raw chicken. Or do it yourself if you're superwoman. (I am not, FYI).

Add more pepper, if so inclined. Or other herbs. This is also the point at which you might want to stuff a lemon up the chicken or add cut up onions or potatoes to the pan. Up to you. However you're going to do it, the chicken bakes for 85-90 minutes, depending on weight. Check the temperature of the bird with a meat thermometer when you think it's done, making sure to insert it away from any bones to get a true reading. You should also cut one of the legs to make sure the juices are running clear.

Once the chicken is done, carve and enjoy! We had ours with kale chips and sweet potato casserole.

It was delicious! Hubby has fallen in love with me all over again. He even called himself a meat whore. I didn't comment on the inappropriateness of the statement, but smiled indulgently and asked if he'd like more chicken. He screamed yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment