Monday, December 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole


My mom makes such amazing sweet potatoes, so when I decided to make my own sweet potatoes, I opted to try a different recipe. You just can't match Mom's recipe, so why try? This one is from the Pioneer Woman and it's wonderful. Shocking, I know. I've already made it 3 times and it's always a hit. A big bonus is that it's incredibly easy to make. My one change is the amount of sugar, which I've cut down to 3/4 of a cup because, let's face it, sweet potatoes are sweet-it's all in the name!

Sweet Potato Casserole
*From the Pioneer Woman

4 medium or 3 large sweet potatoes (I always use 3)
3/4 cup sugar (the recipe calls for 1 cup, but I add a little less)
1 cup milk
2 whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup flour
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) butter, cold

Wash sweet potatoes and bake in a 400º oven for 40-50 minutes, or until fork tender.
When they are finished cooking, slice in half and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl or baking dish.
Add sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt.
Mash with a potato masher until smooth, or to the desired consistency.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add brown sugar, pecans, flour, and cold butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash ingredients together until combined.
Spread sweet potatoes in a 11/2 to 2-quart baking dish and top with brown sugar and pecan mixture.
Bake in a 400º oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment