Monday, December 13, 2010

Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies


I had a bad start to my relationship with Nutella. When I was a freshman in college, my RA was this really annoying hippie chick who didn't do a good job of keeping the peace in any way. I hate to see someone in charge who is ineffective, which is the reason I didn't care for her (it wasn't the hippie chick stuff, in other words). She would invite the girls in my hall to her room for Nutella and pretzels, which I refused to eat (I'm the passive-aggressive type, I guess-No, I will NOT eat your stupid hazelnut spread! I'm just going to sit here and pout and assume you know that I dislike you because of it! Yep, glad I grew out of that behavior.). So, to make a long story short, I hated Nutella because it always made me think of that girl. Fast forward to our trip to France. Nutella on everything! Crepes, croissants, a spoon . . . Yep, it's really good! So here's a cookie recipe that uses Nutella. The Nutella gives it a delicious flavor with a bit of a saltiness that goes perfectly with the sweetness of the batter and the chocolate chips. This one is a YUM!
Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 cups flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup Nutella
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sift together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. (See my sifter? It was my Nana's!)
Cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
Mix in Nutella and vanilla extract. Mix in the egg.
Add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Add chocolate chips. Cover and chill for at least one hour.
Drop tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on a parchment or silicone baking mat lined baking sheet. Bake at 350ยบ for 11 minutes, or until the edges look set. Cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes.
Then carefully transfer to cooling racks.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment