Thursday, December 16, 2010

Milk Chocolate Fudge

I have a story about fudge that I just have to share. My Nana, who was an amazing woman, by the way, loved to make "goodies" for the grandkids. She wasn't one to always follow the recipe, especially if she could "substitute" something in place of an ingredient she didn't have on hand. She also liked to try new and different recipes, something I seem to have inherited from her. However, I would have never had the guts to try Velveeta fudge. Yep, chocolate fudge made with Velveeta cheese. It was not good. You could definitely taste the cheese, but we smiled and tried it and told her it was interesting. (You didn't say you liked it or she would make 5 pans of it just for you because she loved you so much-a lesson I learned when I told her how much I liked her cherry cheesecake.) Nana was the very best grandma ever and I miss her all the time, but I always smile when I think of her fudge mishap.

My own history with making fudge has also been a little rocky. I seem to do an okay job with flavor, but I've had a hard time getting it to set up and then forget about getting it out of the pan. When I saw that this recipe didn't require me to use a candy thermometer, I was really excited to try it. And it didn't disappoint! The milk chocolate flavor is great and the wax paper trick made it easy to get out of the pan. Next time I will probably try it with bittersweet chocolate because I prefer that flavor to the more sugary milk chocolate, but regardless of my personal preference, this is great fudge!

Milk Chocolate Fudge

4 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks)
2 4.4-ounce Hershey's chocolate bars
1 11.5-ounce package milk chocolate chips
1 7-ounce jar marshmellow creme
Pour the sugar, evaporated milk, and butter into a large saucepan. Stir it all together over medium-high heat.
Bring it to a boil while you continue stirring. Once the mixture has reached a hard boil (this means it keeps boiling while you are stirring), continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove the pan from heat. Stir in chocolate bars, chocolate chips, and marshmellow creme. Mix well to ensure that all ingredients are completely combined.
Pour the fudge into a buttered 9x13 baking dish (or a baking dish lined with wax paper). Let the fudge set and cool for one hour.
Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you are ready to cut it. Remember to keep it store in a tightly covered container so it doesn't dry out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment