Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oreo Truffles

When Hubby and I got married last September, a few of my aunts came up early to help us with last-minute wedding details. My Aunt Kris (who is one of my heroes-there is nothing she can't do!) made us Oreo truffles the first night of her visit and I think Hubby seriously considered leaving me for her.
Not really since she's married, but that was probably the only thing stopping him! Oreo truffles are the most addictive treat I've ever had and have occupied my sugary dreams since Aunt Kris made them for us. I tried making them for Mother's Day, but the chocolate coating was a bit of a flop. Now that I'm more confident in the kitchen, I thought I would try them again. Success! Do I have any cookie bits in my teeth?
Oreo Truffles
*From Aunt Kris!

1 package Oreo cookies (you could mix this recipe up and use mint Oreos-yum!)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
10 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate (I used Baker's, Aunt Kris used Ghirardelli's)

Crush Oreos in a food processor.
The crumbs should be this consistency:
Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of crumbs for topping the truffles. Mix in cream cheese. You can either do this in a bowl with a spoon, or use the food processor, which is what I did. One less bowl to wash!
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll cookie mixture into 1-inch balls and place on the baking sheet. Refrigerate until the balls become slightly firm, about 30 minutes.
Melt chocolate according to package directions in a medium-sized bowl.
Roll Oreo balls into the chocolate using two forks to coat.
As you lift it out of the chocolate, allow much of it to drip off while moving the ball from fork to fork. This will stop excess chocolate from pooling under the truffle. Place the truffle back on the baking sheet and sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs while still soft.
Reheat chocolate as needed while doing this step to keep it nice and melted. Refrigerate completed Oreo truffles for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy! (And thanks Aunt Kris!)

No comments:

Post a Comment