Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Baked Mac and Cheese

I've been on a mission to organize my cooking magazines lately. I clip out the recipes and ideas I like and then file them in a binder with an index. The stack of magazines has been dramatically reduced and I feel like I've really accomplished something. Plus, it's been really fun to come up with new ideas and recipes from these sources. This recipe is from Taste of Home and it was really yummy. I, unfortunately, changed the Velveeta cheese to a mix of colby and jack cheeses. I have come to realize that Velveeta, while a processed cheese, is the key to making re-heatable mac and cheese. It makes the cheese stick so that the leftovers aren't bland and uninteresting. Next time I will definitely break out the Velveeta!
Baked Mac and Cheese
*Slightly adapted from Taste of Home

4 cups uncooked pasta (I used radiatori)
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup flour
4 cups 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed Velveeta (I used a colby and jack mix, but next time I'll stick with the Velveeta!)

Cook pasta according to package directions to just al dente. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and stir in the salt, pepper, ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted.

Drain pasta and stir in the cheese sauce. Transfer to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350ยบ for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment