Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce

I've been a little under the weather lately, so cooking has taken a bit of a backseat. I made so much food for our SuperBowl party that Hubby was set for a few days, which was nice for me. However, a few nights ago, I had a major craving for creamy tomato-y pasta. Enter Pioneer Woman! Cravings for cream and pasta means that of course I would turn to her. And she didn't disappoint (although that is no surprise). We ate this recipe for days. Hubby said it was something you would happily order and devour in any nice restaurant. The flavors are deep, layered, and absolutely delicious. This is my number one pasta dish ever. And it's so simple to make! So what are you waiting for? Go make this now!

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
*Slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 whole medium onion, finely diced (I used a shallot, my favorite)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
Dash of sugar, to taste
1 cup heavy cream
Grated parmesan cheese, to taste (I used about 1/2 cup)
Fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 pounds fettuccine (I only had 1 pound, which worked just fine)

Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Pour in tomato sauce and add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. I used 1/2 teaspoon of salt, about 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and reserve 1 cup of pasta water.

Remove sauce from heat and stir in cream. Add cheese to taste, then check seasonings. Thin with pasta water if necessary. I used about 1/2 cup of the water to thin mine. Stir in cooked pasta and chopped basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment