Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mom's Famous Beer Roast

This roast is one that my mom makes at least a couple times a month. It is a favorite of the entire family and we always have it for family get-togethers. The best part about this dish is the smell that wafts through the house as it cooks all day. By the time the roast is done, we're all standing around the stove salivating and counting the seconds. Well today, I finally attempted to make my mom's famous beer roast. It was Hubby's and my 4-year anniversary of the day we met, so it was a special day. It has also been snowing on and off here all day, so a warm, comforting meal sounded perfect to us. My one change from my mom's recipe was that I used a thawed roast. She always makes this with a frozen roast and cooks it all day. I wanted to make cookies, so I used a thawed roast and cooked it for less time. Unfortunately, more time equals more tender, so next time I'll use a frozen roast and cook it for a lot longer. The flavor of ours was perfect and my first attempt at homemade gravy was an unequivocal success (yay me!), so I definitely count this as a win. I wasn't sure if I should post this recipe, since it feels like a sacred family dish, but it's too good not to share!

Mom's Famous Beer Roast
*From Mom!

1 beef roast (any size works), frozen is best
2 bottles of beer (we used Session, Hubby's favorite)
1 packet beefy onion soup mix
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Lots of pepper (not really a measurement, but lots to me meant probably close to a tablespoon)
Preheat oven to 250ยบ. Place the roast in a Dutch oven. Add onion powder, beef bouillon, and pepper.
Pour on the beefy onion soup mix and the Worcestershire sauce.
Add the beer.
Cover and cook for about 8 hours. The meat will fall apart when it's done.

For the gravy:
Remove the meat from the cooking liquids and wrap in foil. Place in a warm oven while you're making the gravy. Place the Dutch oven with the liquids on the stove over medium heat. In a small cup, add 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch and enough water to cover. Mix well and whisk into the cooking liquids. Heat to bubbly until the gravy thickens. You might need to do the cornstarch slurry more than once to thicken it enough.

Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes or rice and make sure to cover your meat with it too. Enjoy this wonderful family dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment