Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Nana's Famous Beer Roast



This roast is one that my mom makes at least a couple times a month. It is a favorite of the entire family and we always have it for family get-togethers. The original recipe comes from my Nana and there are many people who associate this dish with her, which makes it that much more special to me. One of the best parts about this roast (besides how delicious it is!) is the smell that wafts through the house as it cooks all day. By the time the roast is done, we're all standing around the stove salivating and counting the seconds. Well today, I finally attempted to make my Nana's famous beer roast. It was the 4-year anniversary of the day my husband and I met, so it was a special day. It has also been snowing on and off here all day, so a warm, comforting meal sounded perfect to us. I wasn't sure if I should post this recipe, since it feels like a sacred family dish, but it's too good not to share!

Nana's Famous Beer Roast
*From Nana and my Mom!

1 3-5 pound beef roast, (bottom round or chuck)
3 bottles of beer (we used Session, Hubby's favorite)
1 packet beefy onion soup mix (I grind the onions because I prefer a smooth texture for the gravy)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
Preheat oven to 250ยบ. Place the roast in a Dutch oven. Add onion powder, beef bouillon, and pepper.
Pour on the beefy onion soup mix and the Worcestershire sauce.
Add the beer.
Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. The meat will fall apart when it's done.

For the gravy:
Remove the meat from the cooking liquids and wrap in foil and set aside. Place the Dutch oven with the liquids on the stove over medium-high heat. In a small cup, add 1/4 cup cornstarch and an equal amount of water. Mix well until all lumps are gone and whisk into the cooking liquids. Heat to bubbly until the gravy thickens. You might need to do the cornstarch slurry more than once to thicken it enough. (I usually wind up doing it twice.)

Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes or rice and make sure to cover your meat with it too. Enjoy this wonderful family dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment