Friday, July 30, 2010

Great Aunt Janice's Thai Salad


My mom and I went to Nebraska a few weeks ago for a family reunion. We surprised everyone by coming, as my immediate family doesn't travel much and often misses these family celebrations. Not anymore, let me tell you! We had so much fun at the reunion and I got to spend time with family members I'd never met before. I have some wonderful relatives and I finally know where my sense of humor and quick laughter comes from: my entire family! It was a blessing to get to see everyone and I'm already counting down the days for the next reunion. In two years.

Now, on to the recipe. This one is from my Great Aunt Janice. She brought this to the reunion and as soon as I had some, I knew I had to make it for Nick. It had all the spiciness and deliciousness that accompanies most Thai food and I love that it is a cold salad, meaning it makes a great side dish at a barbeque or picnic. Nick LOVED it, and it was a snap to put together-a big plus! Thanks Aunt Janice!!

Thai Salad
*From Great Aunt Janice

16-ounce package angel hair pasta
6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used canola)
3 green onions
1 bunch of cilantro, to taste
1 cup peanuts
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes (UPDATE: We ground the red pepper flake to make it finer and used about 1/2 tablespoon for mild to medium heat, which was perfect for us. Use more for more heat!)

Mix the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, and canola oil in a bowl.

Boil the pasta in salted water to al dente or according to package directions. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Pour the honey and soy sauce mixture over the top.

Finely chop the green onions.

Chop up the cilantro.

Add the chopped cilantro and green onions to the pasta. Mix well.

Chop up peanuts. This is optional, but I prefer pieces to whole peanuts. Mix the peanuts and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl.

Add the peanuts and red pepper flakes to the noodles right before serving and mix to incorporate well. (Update: We just add the peanuts and ground red pepper flake to the pasta right away. It doesn't affect the consistency either way, but it's more convenient to do it all at once.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment