Thursday, July 15, 2010

Parmesan Crusted Cod and Sauteed Zucchini


Sometimes I get a little burned out on chicken. We don't eat much red meat in this house (thank goodness my husband is understanding!) so our options are chicken, fish, chicken, pork, and chicken. We eat a lot of chicken. So yesterday I wanted fish, but not our usual lemon pepper fish and I didn't want anything fried. So I came up with this baked fish recipe that took almost no prep work and was crispy and flavorful. This is one that I can make while Nick's at work instead of my standard baked potato or pasta. It's that good. And the sauteed zucchini, what can I say about that? Is there any way to make zucchini that doesn't taste good? I don't think so. The only thing this one needed was a little fresh chopped basil, which I will be picking up at the store today so I can try it again. Ah, I love zucchini!

Parmesan Crusted Cod (or any other white fish like tilapia or halibut)

3 white fish fillets like cod, halibut, or tilapia
1 1/2-2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
margarine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt about a tablespoon of margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko and toast until brown, 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and pour in a mixing bowl. Add parmesan cheese and stir. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean-up) and place thawed or frozen fillets (I used frozen). Season with kosher salt and pepper and spread a little bit of margarine over each fillet. This will help the coating to stick and the fillet won't dry out.

Press breadcrumb mixture on fish to desired thickness. Leave 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumb mixture for sauteed zucchini, if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily.

Sauteed Zucchini

2 medium zucchinis
Salt and pepper
Margarine
Garlic powder
Chopped fresh basil
2-3 tablespoons of toasted panko and parmesan cheese mixture from above, optional

Slice off ends of zucchini and cut in uniform medallion slices, about 1/4 inch thick. Melt 1-2 tablespoons of margarine in the same skillet used to toast the panko. Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper and a little bit of garlic powder, to taste.

Saute for 5-10 minutes over medium-high heat until seared as desired. Add panko mixture for texture.

Serve with parmesan crusted cod and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment