Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dill Pot Roast


I have been uninspired when it comes to meat dishes lately. I just want to eat zucchini and nothing else, so my protein repertoire has really suffered. Last night I decided to make a roast, but I didn't want to use a recipe I'd already done, so Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook to the rescue! If you like the flavor of dill and the tanginess of a sour cream sauce, you should definitely try this one. Nick and I didn't have high hopes at first, but after the first bite of roast and sauce, we were both pleased. It's a very different take on roast, so don't expect the typical robust flavors that usually accompany beef. It was lighter and fresher tasting. In other words, it was very good, and a great variation on a standard meal!

Dill Pot Roast
*From Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

3-3 1/2 pound beef pot roast (I used 1 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon dill weed, divided
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vinegar

For the sauce:
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream

**Please ignore the fact that I forgot to turn the tub of sour cream around. It was early and I was tired!

Sprinkle both sides of the meat with salt, pepper, and one teaspoon dill.

Place in the slow cooker and add water and vinegar.

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours, or until tender. Remove meat from pot. Here it is looking delicious right out of the slow cooker:

Turn slow cooker to high. Dissolve flour in water.

Stir flour and water mixture into the meat drippings. Add in an additional teaspoon dill. Cook on high 5 minutes.

Stir in sour cream and cook on high 5 minutes longer.

Slice up roast and serve with rice. Pour sour cream dill sauce over it all and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment