Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baked Eggs


Let me just start by saying this was a very delicious recipe. I also need to admit something: I don't like eggs. The only way I will eat them is scrambled or over-hard. I don't like the gooey yoke, so anything not completely cooked in an egg is not okay with me. When a recipe for baked eggs caught my attention in the food blogs a few months ago, I thought that it might work for me and my egg issues. The best part about baked eggs is that you can put anything in a ramekin, crack an egg on top with some cheese, throw it in the oven and forget about it for a few minutes. Then it's done and voila! A yummy, healthy (depending on what ingredients you use) breakfast! This may be my new favorite way to eat eggs.

Baked Eggs

Ramekins
Olive oil or butter
Eggs (1 per ramekin)

"Filling" ingredients:
Crumbled bacon
Swiss and Parmesan cheeses
Chopped chives
Zucchini, very thinly sliced
Roasted red peppers, chopped
Balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using butter or olive oil, grease your ramekins-1 per egg.

Put your "filling" ingredients in the bottom of the ramekins. Nick had crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese in his.

I had zucchini, roasted red pepper, and Swiss cheese.

Crack an egg on top.

Top with more cheese, salt and pepper, and chives. I drizzled balsamic on mine as well.

Cook for 15-20 minutes. 20 minutes will yield a hardened yoke, so if you want your egg a little gooey, go for 15 minutes and check it.

Other ideas for ingredients: chicken, garlic, onion, green onion, bell peppers, ham, turkey, spinach, asparagus. Basically, if you can cut it into pieces, you can toss it in the ramekin!

No comments:

Post a Comment