Monday, June 7, 2010

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes


I dream about roasted garlic mashed potatoes. We served them at our wedding. I order them at any restaurant that has them on the menu. And today I finally made them myself. I added ingredients and tasted to season as I saw fit, so bear with me on the measurements, as they weren't precise. The only difference I would make would be to incorporate the roasted garlic a little better with a hand mixer. Those little guys slip right through the tines of the potato masher! Another thing I might try next time would be to add either a little cream cheese or sour cream just to up the creaminess.

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
by me!

Red potatoes (I think I used 2-3 pounds)
5 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup of milk
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
A bulb of roasted garlic*

*How to roast garlic: Cut off the pointy top of the bulb of garlic. Place it sprout side down on a piece of foil and drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on top. Pinch the sides together to close the foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. The cloves will slide right out when it's done.

We did not peel our potatoes (the skins are good for you!), but if you want yours peeled, do so first. Then cut up potatoes into large bite-sized chunks. Try to get a uniform size to all pieces so they cook evenly. Place in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes, checking periodically for doneness (a fork should go in easily when done).

When potatoes are done, drain and return to the pot on a warm burner. Add in salt and pepper. Then place butter in the warm mix. Mash together then add milk and as many cloves of roasted garlic as you'd like. We used all of them from the roasted bulb. We're big garlic fans. Continue to mash or use a hand mixer to really incorporate the garlic. At this point, a little sour cream or cream cheese would be good too. Mix all ingredients together well and serve hot. Enjoy with mushroom and red wine pot roast!

No comments:

Post a Comment