Thursday, June 24, 2010

Banana Cream Pie for Father's Day


When I asked my dad what he wanted for Father's Day, his response was: Banana cream pie. I've never made a pie from scratch before, but my dad was worth the effort. And it was an effort. For starters, our Pillsbury dough didn't make it through the baking process. I didn't push it high enough up the side of the pie plate and it slid down while baking. Round 2: send husband to the store for a pre-made crust. Unfortunately, I forgot to specify that I needed a deep dish crust. The crumb crust he brought home=no good. Thankfully, I remembered that I had a pre-made deep dish pie crust in my freezer, so I thawed that out and shoved it in the oven to cook. All of this occurred about an hour before we had to leave to go my parents' for their Father's Day celebration. Despite the fiasco, this was a delicious pie. My dad loved it and my Papa scarfed down a huge piece too. This one is definitely in my permanent file!

Banana Cream Pie

1 9-inch deep dish pie shell, baked
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon banana extract
3 bananas plus one for decorating
Whipped cream

In a large saucepan, scald the milk. To scald milk means to bring it to almost boiling. But don't let it boil!

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in into the scalded milk. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened. You'll know it's done when you lift the spoon and a thick coating remains. It will be the consistency of custard. Cover, and stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer. In a small bowl, have the 3 slightly beaten egg yolks ready. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten yolks to temper. When thoroughly combined, stir the yolks into the hot mixture. Cook one minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and blend in butter and banana extract. Let the mixture sit until lukewarm.

When you're ready to pour, slice three bananas and scatter in the cooked pie shell. Pour the warm mixture over the bananas. Refrigerate until cool.

Top with whipped cream and sliced bananas before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment