Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Saucepan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies


I have no idea where or when I found this recipe. It's been in my cookbook for a while, begging me to give it a try. I happen to love oatmeal cookies. What I don't love is the nastiness people tend to put in them. Yes, my friends, I'm talking about raisins. Yuck! I hate raisins and they will not muck up my oatmeal cookies ever! The nicest thing about this recipe was that it did not require me to haul out my stand mixer (a beautiful Kitchenaid that we got as a wedding present, and of which I am completely terrified). This was all done on the stove, a mixing bowl, and the oven. Easy, right? Yep. As long as you don't make the mistake of using too much dough for the individual cookies . . . a picture of that fiasco later in the post!

Saucepan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
*Makes 48 cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 cups oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 well-beaten eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

Grease a cookie sheet and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add in butter and sugar mixture and stir to combine. Add eggs and mix well.

Stir in chocolate chips. The mixture will be warm and the chips will begin to melt as you stir them in.

Drop batter by rounded teaspoons 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet, stirring the batter often.

Here's what happens when you make the cookies too big and too close together. It was one giant cookie. I'm going to crumble it up and use it as an ice cream topping.

Bake cookies 6-7 minutes or until the edges are firm. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment