Monday, August 16, 2010

Great Aunt Shirley's Potato Salad


When my mom and I went to Nebraska for our family reunion, we were able to sample a plethora of foods made by family members. A recipe book was put together by my Great Aunt Judy and cousin Nancy, but my Great Aunt Shirley's potato salad wasn't in it. And I needed that recipe. My mom makes a great potato salad, but it's very simple because my dad hates onions, so hers is essentially potatoes, eggs, and a French dressing mix. Aunt Shirley's had celery and dill pickle relish and a really bright and fresh flavor from dill and a few other ingredients. I emailed her and begged for the recipe, which she sent and now I'm sharing it with you. This is the best potato salad you'll ever have. Ever. I promise. (But don't hold me to that promise if you already have a favorite and don't think anything can compare. But this recipe might. I'm just saying.)

Great Aunt Shirley's Potato Salad
*Courtesy of Shirley Roloff

5 pound of russet potatoes (about 14 medium sized spuds)
8 eggs
3/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used 1/2 teaspoon onion powder instead)
3/4 cup finely chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
1 cup dill pickle relish
2 cups mayonnaise
2 cups Miracle Whip
1 cup sour cream dill dip, prepared (Hidden Valley harvest dill dip packet with 2 cups sour cream)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Boiled peeled, diced potatoes in salted water until tender. 

Hard boil your eggs. Let eggs cool in ice water and place potatoes in the fridge while preparing the dressing.

Mix mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, and sour cream dill dip together. Add salt and pepper.

Add relish, onion powder, and celery. Set 2 cups of the mixture aside.

Pour the remaining dressing mixture over the potatoes and toss gently. Chop the eggs and add, tossing gently again.

Add the saved dressing mix and salt and pepper and toss one more time. Refrigerate overnight for the best flavor. Enjoy!

Serves 10-20, depending on how hungry everyone is! Thanks Aunt Shirley!

No comments:

Post a Comment