Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole


This particular recipe is a family favorite. My mom makes this for all kinds of occasions, including Easter with a honey baked ham. I am not a huge fan of ham, so I usually serve mine with a roasted turkey breast. But back to the casserole. The best part about this one, in my opinion, is the heat. And I'm not talking about it being spicy. I mean it's so hot that it burns your tongue if you eat it straight out of the oven, which is always my recommendation. That warmth makes this a cozy dish-the ultimate comfort food. If you don't end up with a scorching hot dish, you did something wrong. So I have a few tips to make sure that this one turns out hot and cooked through, as you're using frozen potatoes in the recipe. You also can't go wrong with the cream of chicken and celery soups, which add tons of flavor without a lot of work. There's just something about the creamy soups, sharp cheddar, warm potatoes, and crunchy corn flakes. Mmm! When I say enjoy at the end of this recipe, I mean it. This one is SO good!

Hashbrown Casserole
*From Mom!

2 pound package frozen hashbrown potatoes (Southern style-cubed)
1 stick margarine
1 8-ounce container sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2-3/4 teaspoon onion powder
Corn flakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Microwave frozen hashbrowns in a bowl until thawed and warm (this took about 15 minutes in my microwave, with a quick stir at 5 minute intervals).

Spread potatoes in a greased baking dish.

Season with pepper and onion powder.

Top with pats of margarine.

Add cream of chicken, cream of celery, sour cream, and cheese in a large bowl.

Mix well.

Pour soup mixture over potatoes and mix all together.

Add a few cups of corn flakes to a ziploc bag and crush.

Pour crushed corn flakes on top of the potatoes and soup mixture.

Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. The top of the corn flakes will be browned and crunchy when done.

Serve with your choice of meat and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment