Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas


When I started to set out the ingredients for this recipe, I realized that we didn't have any chicken breasts. How is that possible?! We did, however, have chicken tenderloins, so I used the 8 that we had to make this recipe. It wasn't nearly enough, so I used a can of black beans too. This recipe is an adapted version of my Aunt Kathy's enchiladas. Nick and I liked them, but because I removed the seeds and membranes from the jalapeƱos, it was a little bland. When I say bland, I mean it didn't burn off our tongues the way we like Mexican food to do. Next time we'll keep the seeds and membranes!

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
*Adapted from Aunt Kathy's recipe

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
36 ounces cooked shredded chicken (I used 16 ounces)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 can black beans
2 tablespoons taco seasoning plus 1/2 teaspoon cumin
12 corn tortillas
3/4 cup chopped onion (I used 1/2 teaspoon onion powder)
8 ounces sour cream
2 cups thinly sliced jalapeƱo peppers (I used 6 medium sized peppers)

*I roasted the chicken in foil packets with a little drizzle of olive oil and taco seasoning with a little cumin.

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.

Slowly add flour, stirring constantly until smooth.

Gradually add the chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens (this will mean it comes to a soft boil).

Meanwhile, drain the black beans and heat in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add taco seasoning, onion powder, and cumin and a little hot sauce, if desired. Once beans are soft, mash with a potato masher.

Remove the chicken broth mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and peppers. It might be good to add the peppers with the chicken broth and allow them to simmer in the mix to break them down a little bit. Otherwise, they stay a little crunchy in the sauce.

Lightly baste the bottom of a 13x9 inch dish with the sauce. Heat tortillas in a skillet on high heat for a few seconds per side or blanche in a little bit of oil until soft. Mix chicken, mashed black beans, and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.

Stuff the tortillas with a generous amount of the chicken mixture.

Add a tablespoon of the sauce.

Roll up and place in the baking dish.

Top with remaining sauce.

Add the remaining cheese.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with salsa verde and rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment