Monday, August 16, 2010

Zucchini Quiche


I have an unnatural obsession with zucchini this summer, and I didn't even plant any! Next summer, however, lots of zucchini will be coming from my garden. At least, I hope so! This quiche was adapted from All Recipes. I made a few changes here and there and it turned out to be an amazing dish. The hubby was off camping for three days with some friends, so I ate this while he was gone and I was alone with the puppies. I cannot say enough about this dish and will be making it again as soon as I get another deep dish pie crust. The only changes I would make would be to stir all the ingredients together instead of layering them. Also, I only had 2 eggs, so next time I will be using 4, which is how I wrote out the recipe that follows.

Zucchini Quiche
*Adapted from All Recipes

1 9-inch unbaked deep dish pie crust
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 pound zucchini, (3 medium-grate 2 1/2 and slice the remaining half)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan blend cheese
1 cup ricotta
1/2 cup half and half
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Dash pepper
Paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grate the zucchini with a box grater.

Sauté zucchini and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until the zucchini is tender; drain.

Spread grated zucchini in the crust of the pie.

Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. (I will mix the zucchini and cheese into the ricotta/egg mixture next time)

Meanwhile, sauté remaining half of zucchini, which you sliced, in a little bit of butter on each side until tender. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix ricotta, egg, half and half, salt, basil, oregano, onion powder, and pepper.

Pour over zucchini. Top quiche with sautéed zucchini slices and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment