Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells


When I started making this, I secretly had high hopes. And I was not disappointed! This was SO good! When Nick and I sat down to eat, we both took a bite at the same time and huge, goofy grins came over both our faces. That sound silly, but I never joke about good food! This was like deconstructed lasagna without the meat, which would be an easy addition if you really wanted to put it in. But for someone like me, who tends to pick the meat out of my lasagna, this meal was a dream come true. I have already copied it down in my permanent recipe book. In case I haven't already made it clear, this recipe is a 10! Easy, flavorful, and filling, and a crowd-pleaser. How could you go wrong?

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells

24 jumbo pasta shells
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and squeezed dry
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 26-ounce jar spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta according to package directions to just al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix ricotta, parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella cheeses.

Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and nutmeg.

Add in beaten egg and spinach.

Mix well.

Spread 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Stuff shells with the spinach and ricotta mixture and place in a single layer in the dish.

Spoon the remaining spaghetti sauce over the shells.

Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and cover with foil.

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment