Thursday, May 27, 2010

Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Casserole


I've been trying out a bunch of new recipes in preparation for a big Mother's Day brunch I'm hosting. I don't want to serve something that doesn't taste (and look) delicious, especially to the people I love the most in this world! Unfortunately, this dish fell into the "tastes great, looks bad" category, so although I'm sure I'll make it again, I won't be making it for Mother's Day. Now I'm thinking I'll fall back on the tried-and-true pumpkin pecan pancakes (a mix from Willams Sonoma) in addition to the quiches.

Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Casserole
*I cut the recipe in half for the two of us

12 slices of bread, crusts removed (I used a potato bread)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed (I didn't cut this in half, and would use 2 cups in the full recipe)
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup syrup (I used blueberry syrup)

Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon butter

Cut bread into 1 inch cubes, place half in a greased 13x9 inch pan. Mix softened cream cheese with vanilla and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in milk and syrup, blending well. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture. Cover and chill overnight.

Remove casserole from the refrigerator a half hour before baking. Baked covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25-30 minutes more or until golden brown and the center is set.

Sauce: In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Simmer 8-10 minutes or until berries burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve warm with the casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment