Thursday, May 27, 2010

Molten Chocolate Cobbler



* Possible variation: Instead of 1 cup of melted chocolate chips, add in 1 cup of Nutella. Yum!

This was originally posted on the Tasty Kitchen section of the Pioneer Woman's blog. Shocking, I know. She's my go-to for good food nowadays. I originally made this at my parents' house a few days ago. I wanted to try it out and, not being much of a baker, I knew I'd get an honest opinion from my family about the dish. Nick's too nice sometimes (plus he loves everything and will eat anything. Kind of like a garbage disposal . . . ) and it's hard to get a truthful answer out of him at times. Anyway, I thought the original recipe was very good, but not chocolately enough for me. I need a really good dose of semi-sweet or dark chocolate richness for me to fall in love with a chocolate dish. And this just didn't quite have it. Enter the more confident "Chef" Stephanie. I added a generous cup of melted semi-sweet chocolate chips to the finished batter and adjusted the cooking time exactly 6 minutes. (Don't ask me why 6 and not 5 or 10. I'm weird.) The final product was molten and rich and the exact right kind of chocolately: not too sweet and very decadent. My entire house smells amazing right now! And it's so easy. Try this right now!

(Sorry for the quality of the photos. No natural light in my kitchen at 10pm!)

Molten Chocolate Cobbler
*Adapted from Tasty Kitchen and the Pioneer Woman

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 generous cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 1/2 cup HOT tap water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup white sugar together in a large mixing bowl.

Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add in melted chocolate and mix to combine.

Pour into ungreased 8x8 baking dish.

In a small separate bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.

Pour hot tap water over it all. DO NOT STIR!

Looks strange, huh? But trust me, resist the urge to stir!

Bake 45-50 minutes or until the center is set. Serve with ice cream "to cut the sweetness." (Name that movie!)

Yeah, this is definitely as good as it looks. What are you waiting for? Go make it now!

And put a little whipped cream or ice cream on it while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment