Monday, May 31, 2010

Baked Chicken Taquitos


My little brother, Jake, loves chicken taquitos. The boy can eat a whole plateful in a sitting (and he never gains a pound-punk . . . ) with jalapeno cheese dip and then is a happy camper. When I saw this recipe from Our Best Bites, I knew I had to try it, if only for my brother. Well, no surprise, these were absolutely amazing. They tasted just like the ones from the box, except they were more fresh-tasting and spicy and crunchy and delicious. Nick is adamant that these are his new number one. He has asked me at least 4 times since making them when I'm going to the store to get more cilantro so I can make them again. I also took some over for Jake to try and now my mom's asking me for the recipe because he liked them so much. The best part: if you have cooked shredded chicken, this dish comes together in a matter of minutes.

Baked Chicken Taquitos
**Makes 14-16 Taquitos
*From Our Best Bites

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa verde
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 green onion, thinly sliced (white and green parts, equal to 2 tablespoons)
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 cup pepperjack cheese, shredded
Small yellow or white corn tortillas
Kosher salt
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Mix the first seven ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the cilantro and green onion. Mix and add the chicken and cheese.

Place 3-4 tortillas between 2 damp paper towels and microwave 30-45 seconds, until they are soft and won't crack. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, keeping it a 1/2 inch from the sides.

Roll up the tortillas as tightly as possible; use toothpicks if necessary. Place them seam side down on the baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with KOSHER salt (makes a big difference, trust me).

Bake 15- 20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to brown. Enjoy with restaurant style salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment