Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mexican Lasagna


So every morning I spend about a half an hour (sometimes it's more like an hour . . . ) reading my favorite food blogs. It's really amazing to see a recipe go from ingredients and steps to a finished product and getting the notes in between from people who know what they are doing. A recipe book is a great resource, but it can be very impersonal. In consequence, I enjoy making recipes from the blogs much more than from a cookbook. This recipe is from one such blog, and a very well known blog at that. The Pioneer Woman has not once steered me wrong and I have quite a few of her recipes written in my personal cookbook. This Mexican Lasagna was one such recipe and I'm so glad I made it! It definitely earns a spot on our regular rotation (if I ever get back into a regular rotation . . . there are so many new recipes to try!)

For the record, I did change this recipe a little bit. The first thing I did was cut it in half. She wasn't kidding that it could feed an army! The second thing I did was use a boxed Spanish rice mix instead of making my own. And finally, I used roasted chicken breast instead of ground beef. I don't eat ground beef, which is why you will never see it in any recipe I make. I'll give you my recipe, and you can check out the link to see The Pioneer Woman's version.

Mexican Lasagna
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

3 Chicken breasts, roasted (directions to follow)
Taco seasoning (chili powder, paprika, and cumin)
Red pepper flakes
Box of Spanish rice mix
1 15-oz. can black beans
1 16.8-oz. jar salsa verde
flour tortillas
1-2 cups of frozen corn, cooked (or a can of corn, drained)
1 package Mexican blend cheese
1 10-oz. jar enchilada sauce
Sour cream, cilantro for garnish

To roast the chicken: Place each piece of chicken in a foil packet. Pinch the ends, but leave the top open. Pour in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Roll the top of the foil closed. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from packets, shake off excess oil and shred with two forks. Prepare rice per package directions. I added red pepper flake and a little bit of taco seasoning to up the flavor. While that's cooking, drop the shredded chicken in large skillet over medium-high heat. Dump in a 1/4 cup of taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water along with a little red pepper flake. Let the water cook down, stirring occasionally.

Add black beans to the rice mixture (I forgot to do this!) and then start layering in a greased 13x9 inch pan. First, spread a layer of salsa verde. Cover with a layer of tortillas. Overlapping is okay. Spread on half of the rice mixture.

Spread half the cheese on top of that. Then add another layer of tortillas and pour on the enchilada sauce, spreading it around evenly.

Add the chicken then the corn then the remaining rice and salsa verde.

Top with the rest of the cheese and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment