Thursday, May 27, 2010

Breakfast Stirfry


Also known as leftover ingredients from a massive brunch dumped in a skillet with eggs and hashbrowns. I had my doubts on this one, but I hadn't set out any meat for Nick's lunch yesterday and I needed to feed him something that would make enough for leftovers. When I opened the fridge all I could see was a massive amount of leftover food from Mother's Day. Not feeling particularly creative, I decided to just dump it all in a skillet and hope for the best! And it was really good! I even saved some leftovers for me, which says a lot. Bear with me on the recipe, since I didn't do a lot of measuring.

Breakfast Stirfry

1 package of frozen shredded potatoes (hashbrowns)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 pound breakfast sausage (I don't eat this stuff, so 1 pound would be the right amount for a regular recipe)
8 ounces of diced mushrooms (we had about 2/3 of a package, but I'd like a full 8 ounces next time)
A couple of forkfuls of roasted red peppers
A sprinkle of dried chives (fresh would have been better, but I used what I had)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste

In a large electric skillet, melt a tablespoon or two of margarine. Add in frozen (or thawed) hashbrowns. Flip and stir continuously to brown on all sides. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt a little more margarine. Add in diced mushrooms. Cook until the moisture is gone, about 6-7 minutes, and transfer to a bowl. In the same pan, cook the sausage until brown.

Scramble the 4 eggs and add them to the browned hashbrowns, then add mushrooms, red peppers, chives, and seasonings. Stir and dump in the cheese. Stir again. If you're like my husband, at this point you would stir in the sausage. However, I don't eat sausage, so he just sprinkled it on top of his breakfast stirfry and I ate it plain (which was also amazing!). Add some parsley for garnish and serve.

*This would also be yummy with diced bell peppers, green chilies, bacon, etc. It's a dump-it-in kind of recipe, so it can be changed to anyone's taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment