Monday, May 31, 2010

Restaurant Style Salsa


This is yet another recipe from the Pioneer Woman. A month ago I made a GIANT batch of salsa roja, which required me to roast a massive amount of veggies. It took hours to create and make, especially since I had to do it in 4 batches in my food processor. My kitchen looked like a tomato bomb had gone off in it. This time it was MUCH easier and tasted better, in my opinion. The only change I made was in using two jalapenos instead of one. I like things spicy! This is a simple, restaurant style salsa that anyone with a food processor or blender can make and enjoy. Make this salsa and it will be a good day!

Restaurant Style Salsa
From The Pioneer Woman

1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained (use Hunt's-they taste the freshest)
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes and peppers, drained (we use one can of original and one can of hot)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 whole jalapeno peppers, quartered and sliced thin
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup cilantro, or more to taste (we use an entire bunch because we LOVE cilantro!)
1/2 large lime, juiced (or a whole small lime)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Watch the level of liquid from the Ro-Tel and whole tomatoes, so you don't have an overflow situation (unfortunately, I speak from experience . . . ). Pulse until it is the consistency you like, usually 10-15 pulses. I don't like big chunks in my salsa, so mine is pretty smooth. Test the seasonings and adjust as needed.

Important step: Refrigerate for at least one hour. This allows the flavors to marry and become even more delicious!

Restaurant style salsa and homemade chicken taquitos. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment